March 17, 2011 4 Comments
… There are many good reasons for drinking,
One has just entered my head.
If a man doesn’t drink when he’s living,
How in the hell can he drink when he’s dead? …
Raw, honest and natural views… two people with one common goal. Serve with ice.
November 3, 2010 7 Comments
We all knew it would be a sweep at the polls … won’t get into it… blah blah blah… bunch of useless politics that proves nothing ever changes.
Show me change and I’ll believe it.
Until now its a bunch of high school elections to rule a country, blaming one another but never being accountable… while doing lip service to change.
This isn’t anything new… it’s a world-wide phenomenon…
And I will continue to call it… bullshit on a stick.
Sadly… people continue to lick that shit up like its going out of business.
So real quick:
I’m off – off to the Middle East for a wee bit.
Probably won’t be blogging much but I am sure I will have plenty of observations for when I get back.
This is my first ‘big-girl’ trip across the pond… never been overseas before.
I plan on making the most of it while in Oman.
In between matches and when out of the boxing ring that is our business trip, I will be armed with an open-mind, open-heart and a culinary palate excited to taste some exotic foods.
Rest assured my camera will never be far behind either.
Looking forward to spending time at the Souk and bringing back some Arabian treasures for my friend Old Iron.
Speaking of which, he’s soon about to embark on his next rotation…
And as you know, when not bound to Nigeria, he’s most definitely not bound to the blog…
So the posting chez nous could be sparse, few and far in between.
So we bid you … à bientôt mes amis!
See you all shortly… should you not hear from us in between…
-Don’t count us out completely though as I will have some free time on my hands for this one, unlike the whirlwind-esque traveling that I usually commit myself to and do plan on putting some digital ink down regarding my re-integration and participation in the supposedly normal world that has labeled itself the American South. I always have a good time just hitting the pub for a couple of cocktails and doing the people watching thing, which usually generates some interesting observations.
(-Like the fact that I have been overseas for so long that I have no game AT ALL…)
No worries though as this one I will be spending with family and friends, to include the spawn of my seed, to be hereafter dubbed “New Iron”. I am looking forward to the new feel of the country as well as I have just seen the election totals and friends, I am pleased as to the outcome. A holiday is coming up as well that I haven’t spent in the States for some time so I get to see if I still have the chops to give thanks like the rest of my family of lunatics, and of all things KC is coming to the celebration to check out how us Southerners “do it up right” for the holidays, so that should be a treat.
All in all good times will be had by one and all.
Carry on as you were.
October 26, 2010 3 Comments
1. Put Your iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc on Shuffle.
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.
3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS.
4. Put any comments in brackets after the song name.
5. Put this on your blog.
You can’t make this shit up!! I think the universe is laughing at me with this one…It’s just too funny not to share!!! And besides … you guys can see my eclectic tastes in music as variety IS the spice of life…
1. If someone says, “Is this okay?” You say? You Can’t Touch This… MC Hammer
2. How would you describe yourself? Take Your Moma… Scissor Sisters
3. What do you like in a guy? First Time… Lifehouse
4. How do you feel today? Rollerblades… Eliza Doolittle
5.What is your life’s purpose? 1,2,3,4 (sumpin new)… Coolio
6. What is your motto? Big Slice… Jonas and the Massive Attraction
7. What do your friends think of you? How You Remind Me… Nickelback
8. What do you think of your parents? Secrets… OneRepublic
9. What do you think about very often? Without You… Hinder
10. What is 2 + 2? Raise Your Glass… Pink
11. What do you think of your best friend? If You Only Knew… Shinedown
12. What do you think of the person you like? If We Ever Met Again… Timberland ft Katy Perry
13. What is your life story? Memories… David Guetta ft Kid Cudi
14. What do you want to be when you grow up? Dr. Funkenstein… Parliament
15. What do you think of when you see the person you like? Loves on the Line… Michael Warren
16. What will you dance to at your wedding? Animal… Def Leppard
17. What will they play at your funeral? Dancin’ Circles… David Aude/David Garcia/Sisely Treasure
18. What is your hobby/interest? Right Round… Flo Rida
19. What is your biggest fear? Grenade… Bruno Mars
20. What is your biggest secret? Love the Way You Lie… Eminem ft. Rhianna
21. What do you think of your friends? Banned from Heaven… Children of Bodom
Alright, not to be left out of the game I decided to toss in my 2 cents / 1 pence / 152 naira into the mix. My taste in music tends to be a bit more… “extreme” than KC’s, which should make for some interesting findings.
1. If someone says, “Is this okay?” You say? Deadly Game – Theory of a Dead Man
2. How would you describe yourself? Self-Proclaimed Messiah – Gardenia (And of COURSE the thrash metal looms it’s ugly head)
3. What do you like in a girl? Exhibit 13 – Blue Man Group
4. How do you feel today? Halos for Heroes – Full Blown Chaos
5.What is your life’s purpose? We’re gonna groove – Led Zeppelin (I REALLY like Zeppelin)
6. What is your motto? Burn to Burn – Static-X
7. What do your friends think of you? Another World – Poe
8. What do you think of your parents? Puritania – Dimmu Borgir (Huh?)
9. What do you think about very often? Tighter and Tighter – Soundgarden (No truer truth could be true.)
10. What is 2 + 2? 2 Perfect Lovers – Aromabar
11. What do you think of your best friend? White Summer / Black Mountainside – Led Zepplin (Did I mention that I like Zeppelin?)
12. What do you think of the person you like? Oregon – Clutch (Again… huh?)
13. What is your life story? Lord Hypnos – In Flames
14. What do you want to be when you grow up? Absence of Light – Testament (Damn you thrash metal and your depressing names of songs!)
15. What do you think of when you see the person you like? Monochrome – Helmet (funny.)
16. What will you dance to at your wedding? Bramafatura – 3
17. What will they play at your funeral? We Die Young – Alice in Chains
18. What is your hobby/interest? Hope Leaves – Opeth
19. What is your biggest fear? Glorified in Deceit – All Out War
20. What is your biggest secret? Third Eye – Tool
21. What do you think of your friends? Assasinator – Meat Beat Manifesto (Well, not ALL of them…)
–THAT was odd. Apparently I need to limit my intake of both Trash Metal and Norwegian Death Metal. Maybe I need to take a page from KC’s playlist and add some pop or rap to the mix…. Or not. I think that I’ll stick to the rock and let her cover the rest of the musical spectrum.
September 11, 2010 1 Comment
… 9 years ago… life as we knew it… Changed. Please take time to reflect and give remembrance to those who perished on that day.
Budweiser commercial done after 9/11. They only aired it once so as not to benefit financially from it – they just wanted to acknowledge the tragic event ……
July 22, 2010 22 Comments
KC and I were recently discussing the fact that she has travelled quite a few times to visit me down in sunny South Florida to cavort in the sun and generally have a good time terrorizing blue hairs and hitting up the pretentious capital of my fair state, South Beach. Drifting into the conversational cocktail came the umpteenth reference to the fact that I have not been up to maple leaf country to spend some time in her environment… and the exchange actually broke from the norm. Our usual banter in reference to this usually goes like this:
KC: You GOTTA come up here! You would love it and you know you enjoy travelling?
Old Iron: Too cold.
KC: But its JULY!!! It warms up here as well during that time!
Old Iron: Don’t you guys have a patent on something called “permafrost”, as in “its so goddamned cold up there it never actually unfreezes”?
-You get the point.
This time was a little different though after I made the (gasp!) decision to not visit family this round and actually, you know, DO SOMETHING FOR MYSELF. I decided to actually take the plunge and go up to the Great White North and hang out with my bud to see if in fact all of the stereotypes have some validity. I do swear though that if she rides up on her tamed polar bear to pick me up from the airport… Wait. That would be AWESOME.
KC, I insist that you pick me up from the airport riding a polar bear.
So, the average American thinks that Canadians live in log houses (while some do believe we have snow year round, live in igloos and have either dog sled or skidoos as means of transportation), wear flannel, sporting our toques, pay bills as lumberjacks, play hockey day long, drink lots of beer and speak with funny accents, saying things like ‘aboot’ and eh all the time (thank you Bob & Doug McKenzie and to SCTV for perpetuating that stereotype). The less than average American thinks that Canada is part of Alaska and don’t realize that Alaska is an American state, we drive on the opposite side of road and really have funny monopoly money as our currency. Trust me – the stories I’ve heard from Border patrol – really doesn’t help in the belief that Americans are rather ignorant of anything non-American.
Then there are the likes of my most wonderful friend, Old Iron.
He’s somewhat more worldly than the average American with his international travel having been exposed to the outside world.
HOWEVER… and yes, there is a BUT here… the man believes its cold 365 days a year in Canada. That the only season in Canada is – Winter. Well that is if you live in Nunavut and even that isn’t 100% accurate.
So with a little persistence (while he might tell you I nagged him incessantly – the truth is that I really only threatened to give him a good ol’ fashion hockey beat down if he didn’t comply), Old Iron took the plunge and bought his flight to the concrete jungle of Toronto, known as the ‘new capital of cool’… where I will drag his ass around the Toronto/Niagara Falls and SW Ontario regions – if only to prove to him we are not seasonally challenged and we have fun things to do here!
Perhaps his change of heart came about after my telling him about how we had NO SNOW in Vancouver – especially when we needed it the most – like, during the Olympics!!
Or maybe his change of heart came after he read the very funny book “How to be a Canadian” where he was edu-ma-cated in all things Canadiana.
Then there is misguided belief that his decision might have had something to do with lil ol’ me, in my maple syrup glory… his buddy, his off-site partner in crime that doesn’t swing low in the pant… pleading with him to play fair and to just SUCK IT UP BUTTACUP! Come to Canada dammit!
Honestly, I am beyond giddy about this!
Excited I am … but now the pressure is on…
With the humidex, temperatures in these here parts can be in the high 30’s well into the 40’s ○C – I know it’s never going to be as hot as African summers – or maybe even his beloved Southern US states. But understand something here: our blood is thicker than Americans as we need that buffer for those cold winter days/nights. So when that humidex hits 35-45○C … we bitch and sweat profusely. The air has been known to be thick – so thick you can cut it with a knife. No mercy. And yes. 35-40○C is hot. Trust me.
So I will be doing my voodoo summer goddess dances just for a little intervention so as to not be proven wrong…
And IF Momma Nature decides to torment Old Iron with a gust of coldness – he’ll just have to be Canadian-like and don a toque & flannel lumber jacket like the rest of us!
~ Or, I’ll just have to keep him full of good ol Canadian beer and whiskey, he won’t notice it anyways. With his beer goggles on, he’ll be too busy looking at all the beautiful Canadian bevies to notice the chill in the air!
Cold or not, the boy will have a good time, even if it kills him, dammit.
Just because I said so.
June 7, 2010 8 Comments
Never get to say it enough – but to those heroes and their families who sacrifice so much for us, thank you. This video is beautiful and pulls at the heartstrings.Appreciate all moments with your loved ones. Life is to short, especially for our solders.
Vodpod videos no longer available.
And on a day like today, where Canada’s lost our 147th hero and bravest solder in Afghanistan, my heart goes out to the the family of Sgt. Martin Goudreault. Thank you for doing what I cannot do. RIP.